Why Post-graduation after Architecture?
Bachelor’s in Architecture focuses on the basics of different disciplines of Architecture and trains you just enough to practice Architecture. However, they do not provide in-depth knowledge of the same.
Large companies hire experts for specific fields like landscape Architects, sustainable consultants, Project Manager, Urban planners, etc. Post-graduation courses like Master’s in Architecture give an edge over other architects by increasing your expertise in the different disciplines. Specialization courses increase your skill sets and have immense value when looking for a job or while setting up your own firm.
Choosing your course
Based on your interests, scope, and employment options available, choose the program that you want to join. Look for universities that are famously known for Architecture. Have a close look at the course structure, syllabus, subjects, and methods of teaching.
There are two types of M.Arch courses to choose from:
- General Master’s degree in Architecture that provides in-depth knowledge on all core subjects of architecture.
- Specialization courses that give in-depth knowledge on certain fields of Architecture along with the core subjects. Some specializations to choose from are :
- Housing Design
- Landscape Architecture
- Interior Architecture
- Urban Conservation
- Software and Digital Technology
- Rural Architecture
- Urban Design
- Urban Infrastructure
- Urban and Rural Housing
- Sustainable Development
- Architectural conservation
- Transport planning
- Industrial design
- Environmental planning
Apart from M.arch, there are other Master’s programs that prove valuable after B.arch. If you want to pursue management courses inclined to architecture and construction, you can opt for specialized management courses like:
- Construction Business Management
- Building Engineering Management
- Project Management.
- Environment management.
Though these management courses guarantee high pay and have good scope around the world, they may not feed the creator in you. However, if you're looking to establish a career in managing architecture projects rather than designing, then one of these courses can be the right choice for you.
Choosing the country to pursue Post-graduation
Choose your country based on where you want to establish your career as an Architect and your affordability. If you are planning to pursue a post-graduation abroad after B.Arch. you are likely looking for a Master’s degree in Architecture or any other design-related course. Look for countries that are widely known for providing excellent education in the fields of Architecture and Design.
To be a licensed architect in India, you should be registered as an architect in the COA. Likewise, each country has its own licensing body whose license you need for practicing Architecture. Applying post-graduation in the country where you are likely to practice Architecture makes applying for your license easier. Building Regulations and rules vary from country to country hence someone holding a degree in the same country familiar with them will have a higher ground over someone with an Indian degree outside India.
Post-Graduation in Australia after B.Arch.
One of the countries well known for their post-graduation courses in Architecture in Australia. 2-year full-time post-graduation programs in these universities range from 34,700 AUD to 135,720 AUD or 25 to 77 Lakh rupees. An average of 80000 AUD per annum is the starting salary for M.arch graduates from Australian universities. To practice Architecture in Australia, licensure is not required if you have completed your under graduation and post-graduation in architecture from institutions that are accredited by the Architects Accreditation Council of Australia.
Choosing the University for your Post-graduation:
Multiple factors are contributing to the choice of your university for your post-graduation, some important factors are discussed below:
- Affordability and Convenience
The cost of living is quite expensive. You need to understand that apart from tuition fees, other expenses need to be met, basic essential needs like accommodation, food, and travel expenses.
There are multiple scholarships by the Australian government and universities for International students to make use of. Hence consider this criterion while selecting colleges.
- Experienced faculty and Academic excellence
Post-graduation is all about expanding your scope in a certain field. Master’s in Architecture has multiple fields to choose from like M.arch urban design, M.arch landscape Architecture, etc. Since you are looking to gain in-depth knowledge on a particular field, this requires you to have professors who have experience in that particular field of Architecture.
- University Campus ambiance
Being students of Architecture, you are well aware of the effect your surrounding can have on you. It is very important that your surrounding is designed in a way that nurtures your growth. Contact students of the university to get an in-depth idea of how life as a student at the university has been.
- Facilities provided
Students of Architecture need well-equipped studios, printing facilities, Wi-Fi connections, a library, spaces for discussions, etc. Make sure all facilities required are available for use of students in the university.
- Education methods and Exposure to students
Architecture is something that can never be taught through just hours of lecture. Students can be only guided to a certain extent, the rest depends on how he or she perceives and learns by himself. Thus it requires students to be given the opportunity and exposure to study multiple real-time projects through site visits.
- Room for Exploration
Students need to be allowed to participate in competitions. Competitions are platforms where you get to assess yourself by competing with multiple participants across the globe and explore new design ideas. Exhibitions, symposiums, and lectures by industrial experts are important aspects that need to be inculcated in the program and encouraged by the university.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or another design equivalent degree passed with a minimum GPA of 5 or 65 % from a recognized university.
- Applicants from a few countries might be required to complete one year or full-time post-graduation from a recognized university.
You can also apply without a bachelor’s degree in Architecture or design, but you would have an extended duration for completion of the course.
The top universities for Architecture studies in Australia are :
|UNIVERSITY||QS RATING BASED ON SUBJECT2020||QS RANKING 2021||APPLICATION FEE|
|University of Melbourne||17||41||100 AUD|
|University of Sydney||18||40||100 AUD|
|RMIT University||25||=223||100 AUD|
|University of New South Wales||27||44||125 AUD|
|Curtin University||51-100||=217||100 AUD|
|Monash University||51-100||55||100 AUD|
|Queensland University of Technology||51-100||=217||100 AUD|
|University of Queensland||51-100||46||100 AUD|
|University of Technology Sydney||51-100||=133||100 AUD|
|University of Adelaide||101-150||=106||100 AUD|
English Language Proficiency tests to pursue a Master’s degree in Architecture in Australia
Non–native English-speaking students need to appear for any of the below English Proficiency tests that assess if they have enough English language skills to attend the university. The minimum mark requirements vary between universities.
- TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- IELTS - International English Language Testing System
- PTE–Pearson English Language Tests
- CAE–Cambridge Assessment English
The minimum English proficiency test scores required for different university admission in Australia :
|University||Minimum Required Scores for TOEFL (iBT)||Minimum Required Scores for IELTS||Minimum Required Scores for PTE||Minimum Required Scores for CAE|
|University of Melbourne||79||6.5||50||176|
|University of Sydney||96||7.0||68||--|
|University of New South Wales||94||7.0||65||185|
|Queensland University of Technology||79||6.5||58||176|
|University of Queensland||87||6.5||64||176|
|University of Technology Sydney||79-93||6.5||58-64||176-184|
|University of Adelaide||79||6.5||58||176|
Master’s University Application and documents required:
- Filled University application form
- Provisional certificate and statement of marks, records of all examinations of your under graduation course.
- Personal statement or essay stating your motivation for applying for the Master’s program at the university.
- CV (Curriculum Vitae) stating your education, achievements, and professional experience.
- Digital portfolio comprising your design projects, personal accomplished works, competition entry projects, sketches, photographs, etc. Your portfolio needs to convey your design concepts clearly to whoever assessing them.
- Your English Proficiency proof or test scorecard
Student visa application
If you are eligible for admission to the university, once you receive your acceptance letter from the university after application you may apply for your Student Visa. International students mostly require the student (subclass 500) visa.
Student visa (subclass 500)
This student visa enables you to have a smooth stay during the entire duration of your study program in Australia. This visa usually lasts up to 5 years and can be applied through an online portal. You must abide by the conditions mentioned in your visa and keep ensuring it remains valid during your stay.
Student Visa Charge: Base application charge AUD620, Additional applicant charge AUD460, a total fee of AUD1080 equivalent to 61,656 Indian rupees as of 2021.
Requirements for an Australian student visa application are:
- Valid Passport
- GTE or Genuine Temporary Entrant
- Offer letter from the university or proof of being enrolled by the university in your desired study program in Australia
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)(Health Insurance) details.
- Visa application fee
- Proof of English Language skills or English proficiency tests scorecard
- Proof of Financial Ability to meet up student’s expenses like tuition fees, airfare, living expenses, etc.
- Passport-sized photographs
- Academic or work experience records and documents (Portfolio, CV)
- Statement of purpose of visit and application of Visa.
Employment options and pay in Australia for Masters in Architecture graduates
M.arch graduates are hired as Architects, Designers, Landscape Architects, Sustainability consultants, Architectural technicians, Architectural Managers, etc. They earn between 51000 AUD to 100,000 AUD maximum per annum. An average salary is 65,431 AUD equivalent to 37, 27,250.09 Indian Rupees per annum for a Design Architect.